Second grade students are taught reading and writing together. When young children perceive a purpose for reading and writing, they achieve greater success. Integration of listening, speaking, reading and writing activities occur daily in the classroom.
Second covers a wide range of math topics, including:
- Problem solving (apply strategies to solve real life problems)
- Fractions (1/2, 1/3/, 1/4, 1/5, 1/8, 1/10)
- Computation and Estimation (addition and subtraction with and without regrouping, equivalent sets, money)
- Statistics and Probability (calendar, graphing, spinners)
- Geometry (identify a cube, rectangular solid, sphere, cylinder, and cone)
- Measurements (time, calendar, measuring devices, metric and U.S. units)
- Patterns (identify and create patterns using symbols and objects)
There will be many topics covered throughout the year, which are reinforced during science lab. Some of the highlights include:
- Life Cycles of Animals
- Health and Safety
We will focus particularly on communities in North America – comparing Canada and Mexico with our local community in the United States. History is taught throughout the year using communities past and present and learning more about holidays around the world.
Current events will be also be stressed throughout the year.
The areas learned in 1st grade are reinforced and the following topics are also taught:
Some instructional objectives include:
- The Profession of Faith – The Creed
- Celebration of the Christian Mystery – Liturgy and Sacraments
- Life in Christ – Commandments
- Christian Prayer