At Father James B. Hay Catholic School, the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school are extended to all students who are admitted. The school does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, or ethnic origins in the administering of its educational policies, admissions policies, and athletic and other school-administered programs. FJBH admits students of any race, color, and national origin.
The requirements for admission to Father James B Hay Catholic School are as follows:
- Parents/guardians and students must agree to uphold the Catholic and patriotic values and traditions that form the basis of education at our school, and to abide by the policies and regulations of the school. The policies include the participation in prayer and in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- The parents/guardians of the student(s) to be admitted agree to pay tuition and other required fees recommended by the School Board through FACTS Fast Automated Cash Transaction System) and agree to participate with the school in their student(s) education by providing forty (40) hours of service to the Parent Involvement Program per school year. 10 service hours must be completed at the end of each 9-week grading period. Report cards will be held at the front office for all service hours not up-to-date. For every service hour not completed, a $10 per hour charge will be assessed and added to tuition fees.
- The State of New Mexico requires that pre-school classrooms have an open door policy and are supportive of family involvement. Per state regulations, we invite children three to five years of age (who are potty trained) to be part of the program.
- New Mexico State compulsory attendance law and Catholic School policy dictates that children must be five (5) years old on or before September 1st to enter Kindergarten and six (6) years old on or before September 1st to enter First Grade. The only exception for early admission to First Grade is when documentation is presented showing that a child has successfully completed an accredited Kindergarten. In this case, the parents must agree to additional evaluations by a FJBH teacher during a probationary period. Kindergarten children are given a school readiness test during the first week of school.
- The School Board approves the guidelines, rules and regulations implemented by the faculty, administration and staff of Father James B Hay Catholic School. FJBH reserves the right to deny admission and/or continuance to any student who cannot in good faith demonstrate that he/she will comply with the values, academic processes, policies or rules and regulations of the school.
- The administrator will make the final decision of admission.