How to Apply
Father James B Hay is a Catholic preschool, elementary, and middle school dedicated to the education of all who:
- desire to learn more about God and are willing to participate in the faith community;
- demonstrate – through former school records, entrance testing, and student/parent interviews an ability to achieve academically and socially within our curriculum;
- support the mission, philosophy, goals, objectives and rules of the school.
Registration opens in February. Catholic students will be considered first if registration is completed by the end of April, and the above criteria are met. New students (applying for grades 2 – 7) will be screened in mid-March. Screening for preschool, kindergarten and first grade applicants will be scheduled individually. Applications received at other than normal registration periods will be considered on the basis of the above criteria and space available.
Father James B Hay Catholic School in the Diocese of Las Cruces, mindful of its primary mission to be a witness to the love of Christ for all, admits students of any race, color, national and/or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to the students at the school.
FJBH does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and/or ethnic origin, age or gender in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and/or other school-administered programs.
While Father James B. Hay Catholic School does not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant with special needs, a full range of services may not always be available to them.
All Applicants Need:
- Birth certificate (we must see the original)
- CURRENT Immunization Records. New Mexico State law requires that children who do not have current immunizations may not be admitted to any class, at any school — public or private.
- Social Security card (we must see the original)
- Baptismal Certificate (if applicable)
- First Holy Communion Certificate (if applicable)
- Decree of Custody or other valid Court Order affecting the child, whether permanent or temporary
- Reports of any earlier testing, including Special Education testing
- Names, Addresses and Telephone Numbers of at least two persons designated as emergency contacts; they must have available transportation during school hours
- Verification of no outstanding debts to Father James B. Hay Catholic School
- Signed Parent/Student Contract from the Parent/Student Handbook and/or Registration packet
- Signed Family Involvement Program agreement, which is part of the contract.
- Registration Form, which includes providing the current address and telephone number of the legal caretaker
- Home Language Survey
New Enrollees and Transfer Students
Interviews may be held by the Administrator and designated teachers, with:
- New parents/guardians seeking admission for their children.
- Former students and their parents who seek readmission.
- Middle School transfer students will be interviewed with their parents by the administrator and may be required to meet with their prospective teacher to determine the appropriateness and the compatibility of this school for each particular student.
- Students transferring from local schools and students whose academic and/or discipline records from previous school appear ambiguous will be placed on nine (9) weeks of probations.
Prospective Student Form